Monday, December 19, 2011

Say It Ain't So Rudy



A wonderful movie in the inspirational underdog sports genre, "Rudy" has been a favorite around my house for years. Sadly, when perusing the Wall Street Journal last week I saw that the real life "Rudy" was pinched by the SEC for a sleazy pump-and-dump stock scheme. It looks like Rudy traded on his fame and feel good story to bilk investors out of a bunch of cash...he and his partners illegally inflated the stock price of his company "Rudy Beverage,Inc." and their swindle was exposed.Most of the money Rudy made is being returned to the SEC in the form of stiff fines.
Well,I suppose it is not unlike the sad post-baseball tribulations and sleazy deals of former Phillie, Lenny Dykstra....you feel sad that guys like this go bad on some level. I do not think I can again watch "Rudy" with the same admiration for the protagonist and enjoyment of the story.

7 comments:

JMW said...

OH NO! I love that movie and the real-life story it was based on. I get choked up every time I see it. Sigh.

Yankee-Whisky-Papa said...

Time for a new movie... "Rudy 2: Less Is More".

M.Lane said...

Man I really wish I had not read this. What a drag. It sort of puts the perfect frosting on the cupcake that has been the last twenty years in the good ol USA for me.

ML

Sandra said...

I knowwwww - I read this article, also. Just hate it so much . . . xoxo

Anonymous said...

Compared to the scandal in Happy Valley, Rudy is a saint.

GSV JR said...

Grandad grew up in South Bend so I was raised Irish. It was great in high school with Lou but now, um, not so much.

Not surprised with this Rudy bit. The flick allegedly took great liberties with the story, and made him out to be a team fave. Most of the guys that were on that squad now say he was reviled for understandable reasons.

Main Line Sportsman said...

Anon...True...Happy Valley events are beyond repugnant....then again I never saw a movie about Sandusky and cheered for him as an underdog...never even heard of him until this crap broke in the news.