Friday, December 2, 2011

And the Hits....


I do not believe I have ever posted thrice in a day. Regardless, I would be negligent if I failed to highlight a huge boxing event taking place tomorrow on the under-card of the Cotto fight at The Garden. Philadelphia's own Mike Jones is facing Sebastian Lujan,an Argentinian welterweight. They battle for the IBF No. 1 spot.

Mike Jones is 25-0 with 19 KO's. I believe I have seen 17 of those wins live. I have met Mike. He is a great kid....good father....hard worker and very likable on all levels. I fervently hope Jones gets the "W" and is then positioned for a World Title shot shortly after that. It is great to see Philly fighters on the big stage. Go get 'em Mike.

4 comments:

2Stoics said...

My grandpa and all his pals used to watch the fights on... I forget which night, but it was a particular night. None of their sons did, though, so I didn't grow up with boxing.

Guys my age seem to follow MMA. What do you think of the popularity of the MMA style of fighting?

Main Line Sportsman said...

I do not really like MMA...primarily because I cannot tolerate the guys hammering each other when they are on the canvas...One guy drops...his opponenet knees him in the ribs and punches him mercilessly while on the ground...just nasty and not sporting. It does seem popular...but I prefer "the sweet science"

Main Line Sportsman said...

Jones wins!!

2Stoics said...

I watched some boxing and some mma on youtube and I did prefer boxing. Jumping down on the ground to beat the living crap out of somebody does seem to smack of desparation. Waiting for them to get up seems more civilized.

Either activity seems heroic as far as commitment goes, though. Those guys have hearts like lions. Imagine training for months or years for one fight... not 80 games, but one fight, and you might lose it in the first minute. Amazing.

I read somewhere that the best of the Romans watched gladiatorial contests not to see blood, but to see courage.