Tuesday, January 3, 2012

That Was Then...This Is Now





More beer adds wherein the purveyors use hunting ladies to try and expand their market:"Honey, we know you like to kill stuff with the boys...so here is the beer to guzzle after you are finished."
What I appreciate is the setting and the tone of the old beer photo advertisments. Then we see what technique they are currently employing vis-a-vis women and beer and sporting pursuits:"OK boys...drink our beer and you may just run into this scantily clad vixen out in the field..." One approach has discretion and class...the other just a bludgeon hammering at the purient interest.

7 comments:

Yankee-Whisky-Papa said...

I married the one in the last picture... green wool and silk scarf.

tintin said...

I still say it's a bad idea to date, much less marry, a woman who knows how to shoot a gun. I slept with a woman I went through the police academy with and afterwards she broke down a .25 automatic in bed. I never went back. I would have preferred it if she just had a cigarette.

M.Lane said...

I agree with you. But. I'll take a bit of bludgeon if you don't mind...

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

Reggie Darling said...

What a hoot! Of course I love the old adverts. Those gals could have been my mother, who loved hunting with her father and my father (her husband) in the 1940s and early 1950s. I have some old photos that look like those ads--I'll see if I can dig them up and post them one day. Reggie

James said...

My point would be that the type of man today's ads are aimed at has never really spent a day afield. And I doubt he would have any idea about how to treat the ladies depicted in the older ads.

2Stoics said...

I wish garbage like the top picture didn't work.

I get it; I'm a man. There's an ass, and it's been tied to beer. Ass beer.

ASS! BEER! ASS! BEER!

Stupid! It's so stupid!

If you want to look at an ass, there's plenty available online for free, and it's wearing far less clothing.

Keep your ass out of my beer!

Unknown said...

HA! My how times have changed!! I never understood the old saying that some of the older cats used to utter when I was a boy which was, "there's something to be said for leaving something to the imagination". So true! Although.. I'm not sure how many younger guys these days would agree.