Thursday, May 31, 2012

Graduate

This Tuesday was the final session of waterfowl-dog training with Genna. She "graduated" and received her diploma. We trained at Rebel Ridge Retriever Training in Delaware. Lyn Yelton, who runs the show, is a damn fine teacher. She trains and runs in Field Trials and Hunt Tests all over the Nation. Her facility is top-flight. The property has specially constructed ponds for water reteives and some ponds have islands so the dog has to swim, run across the island, grab the bird and return. Her crew is also great...they shoot the blank cartridge shotguns and throw the ducks to simulate real hunting and hunt test conditions. Genna did fairly well...and I learned how much I do not know and what areas need work and improvement. I will keep working thru the Summer to have her ready for next Season. She is not gun-shy which is a huge plus...I have been working on that since I welcomed her to my home. She has great drive and really loves the birds and the swimming. She should do very well in most hunting conditions we encounter. However, we still have plenty of training ahead.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The training never stops! Beautiful lab!

The Gang said...

Great work Genna! Any chance you can come show my pup a few tricks of the trade?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both! It's great that she's working out for you in the field and at home. Such a beautiful girl.

James said...

Be patient with him Genna, he's only a man. I'm sure you'll have him ready to go come October!

JMW said...

Congrats to Genna!