Friday, April 13, 2012

Young Hero



By NBCChicago.com

More than two dozen horses are alive thanks in part to the efforts of a courageous 15-year-old who sprang into action when she saw flames in the stables.

"I started off by just putting their halters on and pulling them out by twos, but then the fire started getting quicker so I just started wrapping their ropes around their necks and just tying them around my arms and pulling them out," Madison Wallraf recalled.

The Wednesday evening fire at the M&R Overlook Farms in suburban McHenry, Ill., raged for about two hours. With no hydrants, water had to be trucked in to fight the blaze that consumed the 25,000 square-foot metal barn.

Let's tip our hats and salute this young lady....this story resonates as my 16 year old daughter is a serious equestrian and I can see her disregarding her own safety to rescue horses at the Barn where she rides and works.

2 comments: