Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Title Fight

I am embarrassed to admit that I have paid attention to and been amused by the recent allegations vibrating around the Net concerning the supposed identity of the person who was responsible for WASP101. The comments posted at Ivystyle (a blog I rarely read because I am more interested in shotguns and bird dogs than in 3/2 roll or the habedashery habits of some 1958 Yale dandy) have been legion and entertaining. I am reminded of the German Sergeant in "All Quiet On the Western Front" who suggested that the leaders of nations should be put in the boxing ring to decide the outcome of conflicts. Perhaps Christian and Richard should have laced up some 12 ounce gloves and gotten into the squared circle to settle things like gentlemen.
The  collateral damage from this WASP101/Ivy dust-up, which I find truly lamentable, is that YWP of Boxing the Compass has elected to close up shop. I truly enjoyed his prose and photos. Indeed, when the author was in Philadelphia we met for drinks and I found him to be a likeable and gracious gentlemen of high intelligence, wit and composure. I looked forward to reading his posts and it seems that opportunity is no more. Bummer.

2 comments:

Natural Shoulder Roll said...

A Christian-Richard boxing match makes me think of this classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwy4nT16VAk

Nice blog, by the way.

2Stoics said...

I'm not even going to try to rise above this. I must know!