Tuesday, February 11, 2014

End of Season

 Now that the time for chasing ducks and geese is over, a hunters thoughts do not abandon shooting. Well, some still chase sky-carp(snow geese.) Some actually dream of golf on a warm afternoon. No thank you. I adhere to the Samuel Clemens adage that golf is a good walk ruined.

 Still other sportsmen get out their flyrods and anticipate a day in Central Pennsylvania fishing the Letort or the Yellow Breeches for big trout. Fly fishing is an admirable pursuit and one that used to captivate me. Now I only dabble during the Summer in the Adirondacks. Most of my fishing is of the Surf variety as it affords the fisherman the leisure to sit in a beach chair with a cold beer in hand.
 Once the season ends I usually attack the skeet and trap ranges. It is an exercise in improving ones shooting. It is fun and inexpensive. It also has a cathartic quality as one gets to blow shit up with a shotgun...much better than the frustration of missing a 6 foot put.
My Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon has been cleaned and chokes changed for use on the clay birds. I shot a few rounds last Saturday. Hopefully, this impending Nor'Easter will not interfere with a few more rounds this weekend.

2 comments:

Reggie Darling said...

I used to enjoy skeet shooting as a young man, and think I should take it up again. I've had a hankering to go duck shooting one day as well. My grandfather was a keen hunter, and I'd like to take it up, not just for the sport of it (honorable), but to connect with him, too.

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

I am a HORRIBLE shot...poor Bryce doesn't know what to do with me, haha! I always really enjoy skeet shooting though!