Thursday, August 5, 2010

Cigar Box Art





One of the items I love to collect is hunting related beer, or liquor paraphenalia: Signs,ashtrays,mirrors,tap handles coasters and other premiums that breweries and distilleries gave away to their good customers to keep around the saloon. Hunting and outdoor themes are prevalent in much of this marketing material.
I have recently become enamored of cigar box art. The themes are diverse and the tone and style of these box-top masterpieces are unique. I am sure many of you have seen framed cigar box lids in a tap room or steak house...they have been a favorite decor for masculine themed rooms for quite some time. I paricularly like the sport and hunting themed lids...and there are some very handsome military themed examples as well.
I recently found the featured example from a brand" Old Sports" which represents and captures the very essence of a Sportsman...gentlemen in White Tie sharing a smoke and camraderie at table...surrounded by the border art depicting hunting and fishing acoutrements as well as other sporting intersts such as cards, dice, boxing,cribbage,rugby et al. I searched for this lid for months and like it so much it is my new banner. I hated taking down the Chris Craft from The Point hotel as it motored on the lake before a beautiful Adirondack sunset...but I'll be seeing that first hand in a few short days...

7 comments:

M.Lane said...

These are fantastic! I'm going to look for some also.

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

tintin said...

I have around 20. Great images and not too expensive. I just need to frame them.

Paul said...

That is wonderful art - another example of how we used to put our best out for the consumer public. Sadly no longer.

JMW said...

It's so funny that you should write about this because as I was unpacking boxes last night, I came across a large container of nothing but old, empty cigar boxes that Hubby has collected over the years. I'm trying to clear the clutter from the big move, but I guess I shouldn't toss those, huh? :)

Vivim said...

Thanks for the great overview. Great post, this is really useful information. I am really happy to visit Premium Cigar Boxespost. It is a very informative post for me.

Packhit said...

Good blog very informative i like it very much keep it up.
affordable sleeve boxes new jersey
best sleeve boxes

Custom Printing Solution USA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.